More ruins from the red district

Last of the Amera stuff, one from the Future Zone, demolished building.

Equally at home for Frostgrave or Mordheim.

Good vantage point.

Very easy to paint. yes we can all make home made ruins, this is just cheaper and quicker.

May well get another set and flock them green for Warhammer/ROSD.

The Castle Keep

Another Amera item:

I ahd to go get a new tester pot for the soil colour.

And I found out that GW no longer does static grass, so a trip to the model centre fulfilled my needs – the new grass I almost the same and a bit of UV will fade it out to totally mix in.

FG More ruins !

More from Amera – these are from the sci-fi range but a ruin is a ruin.

So how to turn this into not grey plastic, and not just dry brushed grey stone ?

Well I’ve used the old Citadel Dark Flesh on buildings before so…welcome to the red (light) district.

Of course I peaked on the Amera website, and someone had beaten me to it, so much for me being original.

Blasted buildings.

Obviously trimmed, same methods of painting.

Nice and light weight clutter for the battlefield.

Good for breaking line of sight. Will probably get another set to go with greenery like RoSD.

Cheap as chips to boot.

FG: Scenery by TTCombat

Some time ago I bought TTCombat’s Savage Domain Ancient Beacon. First item from this company, its cheap and I didn’t pay P&P.

Its quite a chunky piece of scenery, with two main storeys 3@ high each, with what I call a pergola on top.

Nice big stairs so for once you can get halfway up the staircase and leave the figure there.

So how was it it to put together as an MDF kit ?

Mixed experience, overall good. The staircase was complex but fitted together wonderfully. As did the pergola, which had a lot of pieces to fit together.

yet the bulky tower section really did not fit well – the lugs and holes were far too tight and I ended up trimming many of them.

The pergola roof, 6 steps, on each side to make this, and 4 top pieces – so 28 in total. These fitted in perfectly.

So I’d recommend them with some provisos – you’ll need some experience, and a sharp craft knife/clippers. YMMV as this is a sample of one.

Vac formed ruins 2

Here are the other bits.

I didn’t use the masonry paint on any of these as the detail is shallow.

Another simple and cheap piece.

Ideal for both FG, RoSD and other games.

Vac-formed ruins

I’ve bought from Amera before, but took a punt on some more ruins suitable for FG and RoSD.

The detail is soft and shallow, but can be made to work with some good dry brushing.

But this beastie is only £9, so you get a lot of value, and in this case, a nice centre piece for any table.

Or £1 for these two wall sections, simply cut the plastic with a good pair of scissors.

This reminds me of the Bellona scenery I had as a kid.

Painted with my usual textured masonry paint which gives it a bit more heft and rigidity.

Usual stone coloured emulsion, my new light stone emulsion 9another tester pot)…though that was marred when two copulating flies landed in it and had to be fished out.

Puddles made using Agrax eartshade and Camo green washes mixed to make them look like dirty puddles.

Starfire Elementals, and a new Inn (WIP)

Two more quickies as I grind through the Rangers:-

Starfire Elementals from the Maze of Malcor.

Quite simple to paint, using a 30 year old pot of mettalic blue paint that I have yet to source a replacement for !

I built this Inn some 19 years ago (I hope the Rangers don’t take me this long), but neglected to finish off the tiling until a month ago.

I used the inner cardboard tube of a kitchen roll towel to make them so they have a slight bump to them.

I was a third of the way through undercoating it before I realised a black blob is not photogenic, so here is part of it, its a big construction using my usual techniques, but with added balconies and large bay windows.

Its going to take a long time painting…hopefully not another 19 years ! 😀

FG Werewolf, glass spiders and new scenery

Starting to clear the backlog (hahaha) during lockdown.

Scenery is by Gale Force 9.

I bought the bundle offer so have finally got the ruined fountain terrain piece that features heavily in the FG rule books.

Glass Spiders were painted using a very old metallic blue progressively highlighted and mixed with silvers.

Lockdown Foamboard Fun (Addendum)

Sometimes you can get carried away…

A huge hostelry I imagined.

Balconies, and bay windows, lots of opportunities for shooting.

And there arch is 3″ high, so mounted figures or coaches could get through.

This is over 20 years old, so I guess its about time I pulled my finger out and painted it !

Lockdown Foamboard Fun (4)

Final bits done yesterday:

Windows highlighted with Arctic Grey…tyo remind players they are there, and their models can be shot through them !

Washes, and Granite (Light) used to highlight and make a mess !

And the ground floor is the good old dolls’ house paper.

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial.

best to crack on with the lead mountain next.