The first edition of Warhammer was announced under the tagline of “Let’s smash skulls !”, well as we all know, Skullz have somewhat taken over all the Warhammer armies and derivatives.

Digging out some scenery, I found some Skullz related scenery.

Three small piles of skulls, again on the Render bases.

Two larger charnel piles of skulls and bones.

And the final piece, which is made up of a pillar of skulls, with a gargoyle perched atop. The picture does not do the paint job of the gargoyle justice – its a metallic purple that I painted in order to make it stand out in amongst all the dull greys and browns of most of the rest of the Mordheim and Frostgrave terrain.

I had to give the purple metallic pot a good shake, it was one of the original Citadel mettalics I bought back in c1991, but the more colour the better in some of these scatter scenery pieces.

Obviously I have also have ideas for rules and scenarios as to how these items are used.

Here be Treasure !

Both Mordheim and Frostgrave centre round getting treasure in its various forms. So in both in digging out Wizards, and downsizing the Lead Mountain range, I found a lot of old Citadel treasure chests, and then some more, and then some more…

So here they are including a Foundry one (open lid). I went for gaudy colour schemes, because SHINEY STUFF lies within.

These are suitable for Frostgarve, and many other skirmish games. Most are long OOP.

The bases are by Renedra.

They arrived in double quick time, and even better I received a refund, as I’d placed a second order for slightly large ones minutes later in one of those idiot moments.

Then with a gleam in my eye (or was it just wind ?), my brain cell had another idea !

My Mordheim Wyrdstone tokens, the old precept card ones from the original box set (now a venerable 16 years old) were looking a bit scruffy and tired.

Yeah, the highly onerous task of spraying some gravel pieces picked from the driveway, sticking them to some bases and painting. A bright green highlighting the edges, and then giving the entire pebble a green wash.

The only downside is that we won’t so easily be able to do the random placement we occasionally did by chucking the card piece onto the board.

And then I did some more of both on a different coloured base, just in case. 😎

Mordheim: Revisiting a new Level

About 14 years ago, I built a load of scenery for Mordheim which was a regular game my then group of gaming friends played weekly. Taking a leaf out of GW’s book, I added in a second level to the gaming table.

I made a carcass out of foamboard with a top of artists card, to which I added A4 sized sheets of textured cobblestone from railway modelling sources.

This gave another level to the basic board – the entire thing is about 20 inches square, so not to be ignored, but really disrupts the playing area.

That was 14 years ago, and the passing years haven’t been kind. So in preparation for this weekends gaming session which is going to be Mordheim, I decided to drag it out and renovate it.

It had warped over time, and due to the various glues used, and the foamboard carcass had never been exact.

And it had never seen a lick of paint – we were using bare chipboard pieces as a table back then !

A lot of glue later, to make it all stick together, I left it overnight, weighed down by two boxes of lead figures (AVBCW actually), to flatten it all out.

I then used a new sheet of artists card to make a base for it – and you can see in the ophoto that even fresh out of the packaging the corners are frayed, which is why I round them off.

This was then painted black on the back, to start to straighten it out – the card will warp one way, and then the paint on the other side will warp it back to almost flat.

The corners and joins of the railway arches were greenstuffed to make them blend in a bit better.

The entire edifice was then painted, again using the tester paint pots I’ve had done up previously – this is a seriously large area to cover so doing this scenery necessitates these large paint pots.

Then highlighted with light grey and then my basing biscuit colour.

Again, with a large amount of glue, the base was added to the edifice, weighed down and left overnight.

A much more robust piece of kit. Later today, I’ll be at work at a few Marienburger mercenaries, and then tomorrow doing some renovations on the buildings I have to deploy on to this level and the main level (boards).

I have a building acting as a staircase up onto this extra level and a very rickety bridge, that could probably also do with renovation.