Do I now need to groom my buildings ?

The third 4 Ground building is complete and I think it needs some grooming (see below) ! Yes this is the Polish rural dwelling with the teddy bear fur thatched roof.

I ordered a second set of these buildings as I was so impressed, and having two 12×6 tables to dress in June thought I might need them. I also ordered a pot of their “bleached wood” paint as the one downside of these MDF kits is the joints, especially for the roofs are noticeable.

Now you see them….

Now you don’t !

The paint pot is standard Citadel/Foundry/Coat d’Arms style and fits in exactly with their pre painted kits.

All three buildings built, based and painted. In the background, are some more CD bases that I have done for Byakhee JP, so I don’t have to carry all my stuff round his place when he hosts – altruism and self interest merged into one. Sadly I have run out of cheap CDs to create more bases and have a load of ideas for new scenery I can create.

Next I should get back to painting some miniatures.

BoB: 4 Ground Buildings pack of East European buildings

Following on from the AVBCW Big Game, several of the attendees asked whether I’d be dojng another Big Game, and whether it would be BoB. Simple answer is yes.

So whilst recovering on Sunday evening, I decided to buy some more scenery suitable for BoB/RCW. I remembered I had seen the new 4 Ground Eastern Europe scenery and decided to check that out.

I ordered it Sunday evening, received a dispatch notice Tuesday morning, and an hour later the courier turned up with it !

A veritable pile of pieces. I opened up the Russian building pack. The figure gives some idea of how many components are involved in these buildings. The figure is a 28mm piece from the Mannheim Partizan convention that I bought and was delivered a week or so ago. (A dismounted Cossack – lovely figure)

I thought it was going to take a month of Sundays to build these buildings given the double sided A4 instruction leaflet.


But I didn’t think I’d be using clothes pegs to hold stuff together.

By 8.30pm however, the building was 90y% complete. I did the main walls and interior and then the roof section in parallel which reduced the time. I did not press out all the wall sections to further ‘distress’ them as I wanted a half habitable building. This morning all I had to do was glue on the shutters, cut and paint a base, and then this afternoon glue the building to the base, flock and add static grass.

Ta da !

  • A bit pricey at £20+, but you get a fully painted building with interior and exterior detail that you can customise, so worth it.
  • Follow the instructions closely
  • the building is solid with good thick walls.
  • I’ll be buying their paints to finish off the joints better.

Well worth the money and a super quick service.

Scenery: Carts

Sometime ago I bought some cart kits from 4Ground and found them again when I was exploring the wilds of the Playroom. As previous 4Ground kits had been easy to put together I collected the kits and went to build them.

The pieces came out fairly easily most needing just a push from a thumb nail to prize out. However, there are many thin pieces so you do need to be careful. I don’t normally read destruction manuals, but have learnt that sometimes you need to, and these kits whilst deceptively simple do go together a lot easier if you read the destructions that are included. So I set about building the two carts I had – two different types.

However, I quickly spotted that in building the two carts at the same time that whilst they shared some common components, there were others that were subtlely different. So I therefore kept the parts and assemblages on separate pieces of newspaper – I always reccomend buying a broadsheet newspaper not only because of better news coverage, but because they provide you with lots of table saving coverage !

I built both at the same time, as there were stages in the build where it was wise to stop and let the PVA glue set before moving onto the next step. I was also assembling some GW Cold Ones at the same time that had arrived in the post (again part of my plan to build and paint figures as they arrive rather than add to the geological strata of half completed piles of bits in the play room).

In two short sessions of less than a combined hour and a half, I completed the two carts, and the five Cold Ones. You do need to be careful with the wheels and axles – you’re expecting them to have round shafts and round holes, and of course that’s the one thing laser cut mdf kits don’t have. So one axle was a bit damaged when I got carried away. Similarly, be careful when putting parts together that you get the right side facing outwards ! One side is more detailed than the other. Otherwise these kits were superb to put together.

The carts will be useful in virtually all my gaming projects: Warhammer; AVBCW, BoB; and AWI. They are generic enough to be used as clutter on any number of farmsteads through time and space. Well except for my 15mm Laserburn.

I’ll be painting them an exciting brown with an equally exciting brown wash to pick out the laser etched planking details, but unless there is a petition on Kickstarter to fund me taking photos of these brown kits being painted brown, I’ll spare you those photos. 😉